Road Work Summary – 2020
Our quarterly membership meetings in 2020 and our annual meeting in January 2021 have been canceled due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic. Here is a summary of the road maintenance work financed by your road fees in 2020.
- Road Maintenance Work
To date in 2020, our contractor, Bisping Land Improvements, has:
- Graded all gravel roads quarterly
- Patched asphalt on Cedar Avenue
- Potholes on Rustic Court
- Potholes on Cedar Avenue between Buck and Creek Drives
- Significant sinkhole on Donna’s Drive
- Washout on Park Drive
- Washout on Cedar Avenue at Philips Circle (twice)
- Sinkhole on Cedar Avenue at Bishop Drive
- Culvert on Ashley Lane
- Culvert on Donna’s Drive
- Creek Drive before Landing Court to prevent ponding
- Roadbed on Creek Drive to prevent ponding on Bishop and Landing Courts
A big shout-out and “Thank you!” goes to volunteers:
- Jason and Jennifer Saucier and Lee Dickens who cleared the tree that blocked Bishop Court after Hurricane Isaias
- Allan Faircloth and Billy Mastinko who built and maintain the gravel speed bumps on Cedar Avenue that slow the speed of cut-through traffic
- Greg Fogle who installed the stop signs at Cedar Avenue and Bishop Drive
Other RMO and Board of Directors activity:
- Managed insurance claim after plastic water wall barriers on Cedar Avenue were damaged by a car accident; replaced with concrete barriers
- Developing a request to the Town of Surf City and Pender County to provide funds and/or in-kind assistance to compensate for the volume of traffic using Cedar Avenue as a short-cut to town and county facilities and other island destinations
- 2020 Finances
Consistent with previous years, 89% of road fees paid were spent on road maintenance and repairs.
|· Road Fees Collected
· GEICO Insurance Reimbursement (damage caused to plastic barriers)
|· Road Maintenance and Repair
o Bisping Land Improvements (quarterly grading, asphalt patching, culvert and washout repairs; includes labor, equipment, delivery, fuel, materials)
o Carolina Traffic Device and Onslow Grading and Paving (removal of borrowed plastic barriers and purchase of concrete barriers)
|· Insurance (general liability and directors and officers)||$ 1,210|
|· Post Office Box and Postage (mailing road fee invoices)||$ 531|
|· Accounting and Tax Filing||$ 375|
|· Electric (light at Cedar and #210)||$ 126|
*January 1 – December 3, 2020
III. Road Fee Reminder
We know that this is a time of exceptional disruption and hardship for many people. If you are not in a position to pay your entire road fee for 2021, we understand. If you are, we hope that you will do so. Please know that you are welcome to pay monthly ($12.50) or quarterly ($37.50).
- Community Grills
Community grills will resume as soon as it is safe to gather. In the meantime, stay safe and well!
- Join the Board!
The RMO is continuing to seek out owners to serve on the Board of Directors. Interested? We’d love to have you join us. Call Cynthia Kunz, Secretary (910-541-2433). The Board of Directors is an all-volunteer body of four officers who serve without compensation: President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The board meets monthly, currently by conference call on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:00 pm. Candidates must own property in the community and be current with their road fees.
- Petition to Re-Open Deer Run Drive at Cedar Avenue
We have enclosed a petition to the Deer Run HOA to re-open the intersection of Deer Run Drive and Cedar Avenue. This road closure prevents direct access to us by emergency and significantly increases response time. Please sign and return the petition. Your neighbors thank you!
Questions? Stay in Touch
Remember, you can reach us on our website (cl-cermo.com), or find us on FaceBook (https://www.facebook.com/creekestates/).
Thank you. Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Have a Safe and Wonderful Holiday Season!
Steven Hanchey, President Anita Berger, Vice President Ann Donnelly, Treasurer Cynthia Kunz, Secretary